Water Heater Repair | Oak Ridge, TN
Photo By Ирина Мещерякова at istock
Most homes will have a water heater and will use them several times a day, meaning that they are rarely switched off. It has been estimated that water heaters account for between 14 to 18 percent of your energy bills.
This makes the use of water heaters the second largest expense in your home. Therefore, they must be serviced regularly to ensure that they are as energy-efficient as possible. Although they are normally very reliable, water heaters can break down, meaning that you will need a water heater repair professional to look at your appliance.
If It is bad enough having the unit break down now comes the hard part of finding a trustworthy water heater repair company in Oak Ridge, TN to fix it! You need somebody with many years of experience, with a team of highly qualified technicians, who have a reputation for the highest standards of work at affordable prices. You need the water heater experts at My Professional Plumber, and we offer an emergency service 24 hours a day, every day.
What Types of Water Heaters Are There?
There are numerous types of water heaters on the market. But these are the most common.
- Tank or Storage Water Heater – these are the most common kind of water heater in American homes. They are a simple design consisting of a single, large, insulated tank holding between 20 to 80 gallons. The tank is constantly kept heated so there is always a large amount of hot water available. They are usually cheaper to buy and install but occupy a large amount of space.
- Tankless Water Heater – These types of units are becoming more and more popular. They are smaller and more compact because they do not need a large external tank. Because they only produce hot water on demand, they are more energy-efficient than tank heaters. However, they are more expensive to buy and install, particularly if they are gas-powered and so need air vents to supply fresh air for combustion and allow dangerous combustion gases like carbon monoxide to escape. We at My Professional Plumber strongly recommend this type of water heater, for despite the initial upfront cost they will save you money in the long term and they are proven to last up to three times longer than a tank heater.
- Hybrid Tankless Water Heater – One of the drawbacks of the tankless water heater is that there is not an instant supply of hot water. This type of water heater contains a small tank with hot water for instant use. This is ideal if you use hot water in small quantities.
Save Money with Regular Maintenance
Professional Plumber advises that you have your water heater regularly serviced. This will ensure that it is working safely and is running as efficiently as possible, reducing your energy bills. Without regular servicing, you may invalidate the warranty on your heater. It has been estimated that the average cost of a water heater repair is over $500, so a regular service will lessen the risk of an expensive water heater repair and will also give you peace of mind.
Common Problems with Water Heaters
If you need a water heater repair, then call My Professional Plumber for a fast repair. There are several signs to be on the lookout for to avoid an expensive water heater repair and these include:
- Overloading Your Water Heater – Not getting hot water from your heater is not a good sign but it does not mean that you need a water heater repair. Since moving into your home, you have probably bought more water appliances like washing machines and dishwashers. You may have a larger family who uses the shower more often than in the past. You could be overloading the capacity of your water heater by having too many water appliances on at once. This could cause your water heater to shut down and if this happens too often could cause it to break, needing an expensive water heater repair. A temporary solution would be to not use as many appliances at the same time, but in the long term, you probably need to upgrade your water heater to cope with the extra demand.
- Check Your Air Vents – if your water heater is gas-powered, you need to check periodically whether the vents are blocked. The vents are needed to supply fresh air to ensure combustion and remove dangerous gases. Regular cleaning will prevent blocking and make the unit more efficient. This can be part of a regular service from My Professional Plumber.
- Is Your Water Heater Making Strange Noises? – If you live in an area of hard water, you could experience mineral buildup on the bottom of the tank and can also cover the electrical heating element. This could be why you are hearing those strange crackling, sizzling, and hissing noises from your electric water heater. Not having your system regularly descaled will increase the likelihood of a water heater repair or even a full replacement of the unit.
- Is Your Heater over Ten-Years Old? – Nothing lasts forever and even the best-maintained heaters will wear out. If your heater is over 10 years old and needs more and more repairs, it may be time to think about replacing it.
Whether you wish to replace or upgrade your unit, you may need help selecting the right model. There is a bewildering choice of water heater on the market. Choosing the right one is enough to confuse anyone, and you need to be sure that whatever your choice you do not buy an underpowered heater. Let My Professional Plumber help you to decide what is the right-sized unit for you and your finances.
Why Choose My Professional Plumber of Oak Ridge, TN?
My Professional Plumber takes great pride in providing water heater services to the community around Oak Ridge, TN. We realize the stress caused by any water heater breaking down and we will try to send a technician around to you quickly, no matter what the time of day or night. Whatever your plumbing needs, one of our highly trained plumbers will be able to help you get back up and running ASAP.